Friday, June 18, 2010

Follow Friday: Lisa Louise Cooke, my genealogy hero

Lisa Louise Cooke and her podcasts, especially, Family History Genealogy Made Easy, inspired me to create this blog. Her detailed instructions, friendly suggestions, and caring attitude caught my attention when looking for the perfect genealogy podcast for my hour ride to work. I've only made it to Episode #43, averaging 3-4/day, but have learned so much.

I finished Episode #43 "How the Calendar Changes Through History Affect Your Research" today on my way to work, and out of all of the podcasts I've listened to so far, this one has been the most educational and helpful. Episode #43's topic was about the historical calendar and how the calendar has changed over time.

I never knew the calendar change affected records in the United States! I learned that in 1752 the calendar went from March 25th being the first of the year to January 1st being the first of the year. I always thought 1735/6 meant my ancestor was born in 1735 or 1736, no one really knew which year was correct. Now I know that 1735 indicates the old system (OS) and 1736 indicates the new system (NS). An ancestor with a birthdate of 12/18/1733 would have actually been born February 18, 1733 (February 18, 1734 in new system), not December 18, 1733. I'll have to go back and look at all of my ancestors that have dates before 1752.

To make matters worse, I also have family from Italy, but they changed their calendar back in the 1500's, and I haven't found family that far back.....yet.......

A big thank you to Lisa Louise Cooke and her great work in the genealogy field. If you are new to the genealogy field or just want an excellent podcast about genealogy, I would highly recommend her podcast, Family History Genealogy Made Easy.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thanks so much for the nice write up Melissa! I learned a lot myself while doing that interview for episode 43. :-) I LOVE creating the podcasts and I'm so glad you've found them helpful. Say Hi to Millie for me!

    ReplyDelete