Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday: Honoring Pvt 1st Class Michael J Vitraelli

Photo taken by me, World War I Memorial, Washington, D.C., 2008

Today's Tombstone Tuesday post is to honor my maternal grandfather's brother (my great uncle), Private First Class Michael J. Vitraelli.  Michael "Mike" was born July 27, 1923, son of Leonard and Lucy Vitraelli (nee D'Orazio).  Michael, US Army Service #36638490, was a member of the 19th Infantry Regiment, 24th Infantry Division, and was KIA during WWI, October 21, 1944 in the Phillapines, and is buried in Mt. McKinley (aka Manila American Cemetery) in Manila, Phillapines (Plot A, Row 13, Grave 152).  Michael was awarded the Purple Heart.

While I've only been to Washington, D.C. once, while on travel for work, I was able to pay my respects to my great uncle at the World War I Memorial.



Photos taken by me, World War I Memorial, Washington, D.C., 2008

Article from the Chicago Tribune about Michael's participation in WWI:
Article from the Chicago Tribune, 1944

Michael's Obituary:
Date: December 12-14, 1944
Chicago Tribune (IL)
Pvt. 1st Class Mike J. Vitraelli, Oct. 21, on Leyte Island, son of Lucy and Leonard Vitraelli, brother of Conceatta, Nunzio and Mary. Mass will be said Dec. 15, 9 a.m., Blessed Mother Cabrini church.


Mt. McKinley (aka Manila American Cemetery), Milano, Philapines
Picture from findagrave.com

1 comment:

  1. I have a Uncle who is listed on the walls of the Manila Cemetery amount the missing. However in 1987 his body was discovered. You can actually get photographs from the National archives of these gravemarkers at no charge. They sent me a huge photograph of the cemetery with a picture of his name engraving. It's beautiful and very special!

    ReplyDelete